Friday, June 8, 2012

The weeks are flying by!

Hey family,
It's good to hear that all is going good. Here there is not a ton going on. I got to do traffic for the first time, That's when the Harrals saw me. It was fun. I got to see so many new missionaries come in.
My foot is doing good. It's out of the big boot and in a cool brace. I got some pics or a video or something for ya, and I sent my card home with Sister B, so yeah you should be getting that soon. The people playing volleyball are our new district on the right and the oldest district on the left. The old district leaves on Monday. It's really sad. They are like our best friends here and it also makes us the oldest district. Yep, I don't think I'm ready to be the one who can help out the others with their Spanish but I'm ready to try. In my building where we have our class, my district is only allowed to speak Spanish. No mas ingles aqui but it's been really good. It makes it way hard to try and plan a lesson though but we are getting better and we just have pads of paper that we write the word in English and it helps us know whats going on.
So there is some fun news, I'm a zone leader now and I am scared out of my mind! I'm pumped for the chance to serve but nervous that I won't be able to help them the way they need. The funny part with the new district is that they are all up stairs on the fourth floor. It's a real fun hike with my foot and we have to do it like 3 times a day at least. So I'm going to have the best looking legs ever from all the stairs just so you know.
Oh I've been doing some rehab for my foot during gym because I can't do anything else here so all I do is some workouts using a big rubber-band thing and then they have me stand on my bad foot and balance for one minute and then stop for ten seconds and do that balance thing three times. At first they had me just on the floor but that was too easy for me so then they had me on this cool foam pad that's harder to balance on but that still was easy so now they have me on the pad on one foot throwing a ball against the wall with one hand!! It's sweet and its really fun but did you know that when you balance on one foot it can work out your butt because it does and I've only done the one side so now I limp all funny because my butt and my foot hurt. It's a good hurt. Yep thats been fun.
Um I can't wait to see N! (His friend from our ward) Oh and I'm hosting that day so please let me know when he is coming and I could be the one to take him around and show him all the stuff. I'm not that lucky most of the time so we will just have to see. I can't believe I'm almost done here. How strange is that. I mean it's gone so fast for me. I feel like I just got here but I know that I've learned so much. I can now understand almost all the stuff our investigators say. Speaking back is still way hard but it's been fun to get an understanding. Me and my comps have been looking for people who speak Spanish and trying to talk with them and it's so fun. I sat next to two elders, one from Peru and one from some other place, and talked with one for awhile. I was trying to tell him that this elder I knew had just got a package of Mountain Dew and that he was giving it out. So I said something like "vio el? Tinea un pakjena con soda". Sorry if that doesn't make sense but I'm trying to not run out of time. I thought pakege and pakjena but in Spanish pakjena is page so I was saying something like "That elder has a page of soda". Ha ha. I was wondering why he was confused. Yep. My bad. Then I pointed to all the people with cans and he understood. It was fun.
Well, it's time to go. I love you all and hope you're doing well. I'm doing good. I'll write a letter today with more stuff thats going on.
Peace out family,
Elder Birks

1 comment:

  1. Fridays are the best days! He sounds great as always. I LOVE his blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete