Well things are going great. We keep finding all these really nice people who are really fun to talk with. The only problem is that all of them seem to speak English! That would be fine if we were in a bilingual area but we aren’t so that means that we give them to the English elder. So this week we gave them two families that are really young. One of them we got both the parents to accept a baptismal date and the others are really close. I hope the English elders are able to help them. They are such nice families. I’m way sad to give them up.
The work goes on. It’s been really funny. We always come up and the people see us and they get this look on their faces like “you can go, NOW!” and I just smile and ask them how they are doing and I get them talking about anything. People here really like to talk about their dogs and hey, so do I! It works perfect. All I do is get them talking about how our dogs are like a part of the family and WAM I got them. Then I’m talking about the church. It’s really fun and I think I’ve been able to talk to a lot of people who in the past have just sent the missionaries away so I think that has been great.
We had a really cool moment this week. When I walked out my door I saw this guy (Spanish guy!) carrying all of this stuff so I ran over to help him out and he said he was fine. We just started talking and it turned out that he had just moved here for work and that he was living with his buddy just next door to us. I was pumped. I told him a little about the church and he was really interested or open-minded so we set a time to meet later that night at like 6. When we showed up he was there and we talked with him and he just felt so golden. Everything was good. He has problems in his life that the church could really help with so me and Elder L were pumped. The next day we get this call and he was like “oh so I talked to my family and they didn’t like that I was talking to you so I won’t be able to see you again for now. I need to do some research first.” (NOOOOO, it sucked so bad!). After that we have been just trying to get the Book of Mormon in his hands but we never see him. I’ll keep you updated on him.
This has been a good week. There has been so much rain, like flood warnings and all kinds of stuff. There are lots of bugs but they aren’t eating me too bad. They got sick of my blood I think but who knows. I’m glad about it though. Um yeah, it’s been hot but I have a funny thing with that. On my first day here I said this prayer to help me enjoy the heat and the humidity and honestly it feels good here. I can be on my bike and cruising around in the sun and just feel fine while my comp has to stop and drink a lot ((I drink when he does, don’t worry mom). I just feel good all the time and the native Texans are talking to us and being like “Well aren’t you all hot?” and I’m just like “no it feels fine” and they look at me all funny. Yeah for the power of prayer!! It works. Ya’ll should try it some time for something that’s bugging you. Don’t pray for the trial to go away, pray for you to enjoy it. I can testify that that works because I think I’m the only one in Texas who still is having to use chapstick because my lips feel dry. Haha but really, I’m the only one.
Peace out world.
Love,
Elder Birks (that kid in the white shirt that won’t leave the Texans alone)
ps Oh yeah this funny guy drove up to us and this is what he said “Hey are ya’ll looking for someone or are you just here to BUG people?!”
Us: “We have an appointment.”
Him: “I talk to God my own way! Don’t ya’ll come to my house!” and he drove off.
Elder Lane: “Wait, what house is his house?”
So yep if we find him it might be funny. I’ll let you know.
I LOVE his letters, he is such a great missionary!
ReplyDelete