Tuesday, July 3, 2012
Ah Bugs!
Monday July 2, 2012
Well we have been working hard and having fun. My area is called Brazoria and it's like the second biggest in the mission and we are the only ones here who speak Spanish. My companion's name is Elder L and he is great. We are having lots of fun and trying to talk to lots of people. We have been on the bikes a lot and just trying to find people to teach because around here there aren't too many Spanish speakers so you have to find them. Um we have this thing called OYM or open your mouth and it's about just talking to everyone you see. I've been working really hard at that and we have been meeting our goal of 10 people a day and more but it's hard to get appointments here. The people will tell you that they are interested and then they give you the info but when you come by they're not home or there are people that will call us and tell us that we can't come because it's not a good time. Our mission president told us about how it takes 10 times of talking to members before someone wants to change or ask us what we believe. So every time they tell us no or to leave or don't call us back I just think "That's one more time off that persons list, 9 more to go and they will be ready". Our job is not to be a perfect teacher but to tell people what we know to be true and I really have been working on that. I testify of the Book of Mormon all the time here and it's something that catches their attention. It's really funny to me to see these people who tell us how much they believe in God and how he is their all but will just refuse to ask him about the Book of Mormon! It's like come on we aren't trying to just tell you it's true, we are trying to give you the power to ask because you now have new info, but nope they don't and it's just kinda funny. Other people see us coming and run inside. That's also fun. Oh and a 20-something kid drove by me and called me a bad word. :-) Bring it on. We are here to talk with everyone so that we can find the one. If you're not the one then that's fine but I'll keep looking.
I decided that the bugs here just love me so much. (It's because I'm so sweet I think!) I have like 50 bites all over and did you know that they can go through your pants because they can! Yep! My goal is to kill them all. The best part is that we will be talking to someone and just giving them a message and the bugs don't even bother the investigator. They just go after the two missionaries so we just keep slapping our arms, thighs, faces during the whole thing and act like nothing is going on, while in my mind I'm like "RUN! THERE ARE BUGS TRYING TO EAT YOU!", but nope we just chill there and let them run away with our blood. I know that we will be blessed for it because the people see us try so hard to stay and talk with them that they show us some compassion and one day they might let us in the house.
Oh yeah ,I asked someone in Spanish to be baptised on my 2nd day here and he said yes! It was so cool and we are trying to meet with him so we can finish the lessons but how cool is that. He is our only one with a date as of right now but there will be more to come I hope.
Just wanted to let you know I love you all and hope you're doing good.
Tell Robynn and Laurie thanks for the food package. That was the best! Tell Laurie thanks for bringing my stuff!
Love,
Elder Birks
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So glad he made it there, and that they remembered to give him the package! Too bad he's so sweet that the bug won't leave him alone. Yuck!!!!
ReplyDelete