Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Hot and Spicy!

Monday July 9, 2012

This has been a really good week. We went 7 for 7 with our keys so that was really cool and we had a few lessons. Oh yeah we met this really nice family but they have a small problem. The parents are A and B (editors note: women's names) and they have like 7 kids. They are way nice but they have a big problem that we don't really know how to address as of this moment so yeah, that's been on my mind but we will see.

Also something funny with the Spanish. So we were in this trailer park in Freeport and I was talking with this man who after a little while looks at me and asks if I was from Spain! Haha how cool is that. At least thats what I think he said. It was either are you from Spain or did you study there. Sweet. It was a good moment for me.

We speak Spanish a lot but its kinda hard to find a lot of people who are in one place. They are kinda spread out, that's why we have such a big area for this mission because we just try to find the little pockets of Spanish people. We call them little Mexico's. We have 4 little Mexico's that are all trailer parks and those are really fun to visit. A really cool thing happened as we were OYM-ing (Open Your Mouth-ing) in one of the trailer parks. This family was having a cookout kind of thing with this big skillet and taco stuff and we were just walking by to say hi and see if they wanted to talk when one of them was like "hey have a taco". I felt way bad because we had just walked up and as far as I knew they didn't even know what we had come to do so I said "no" but then he said "Oh just come try them". They were sooooo good. I'm so glad we are Spanish just because of the food! They had this taco meat and it was like pork and beef mixed, with corn tortillas and then onions and cilantro, spicy guacamole and spicier salsa. SO GOOD! Then they had me eat them with chilies. Haha I think they just wanted to see if I would do it and I DID. The chilies were a little hot. They said it was more spicy then jalapenos but I thought they were good. They told me it would help my Spanish if I eat more chilies so we will see. The worst part was the after burn. I made it through fine but after it just stings for like 10 minutes or more and you just have to smile and hold back. A neighbor of theirs did it with me and he was Mexican and he was sweating and he made me look good but I guess my eyes turned all red. They all thought it was really funny. Then we gave them all cards from the church and left. I will be going there again! Haha just kidding. Only if they want us to. But I feel like a big thing that I'm trying to do here is to build up a good name for the missionaries. I know that not all the people want to talk with us about the church but we are really trying to make friends everywhere we go because who knows in the future they might be ready to talk and because they know us and like us they will try and find us or really give us a chance to teach them. I'm pumped for when that day comes!

I love all of you.
Elder Birks

1 comment:

  1. He sure sounds good! I could not handle all that hot food, it must be one of the blessings of being a missionary!

    ReplyDelete