(Letter from 12/26/12)
Well I feel like I just was talking to you. Haha that was
really cool. Man I just didn’t know what to say. It was good though. So has
anything changed since then? Haha I bet not too much.
Well all is going good out here. Not too much going on so
far this week because a lot of people are out of town or just doing other
things but by Friday it should all calm down. We will see. So it was really
funny while we were talking because you were asking about some stuff and all
the people in the room could hear.
I’m with Elder D* who is a great elder, he just is a
little quiet and he has been in an English area for 6 months so he is working
on his Spanish. My Spanish is ok. I really can talk with people, I can teach
and I can help people out but it will keep getting better with more time. For
right now in our companionship I’m the lead with Spanish and it’s been really
fun. I just have kinda had to step up to it because I don’t have a choice in
the matter. We have to teach the people and they really don’t speak English and
Elder D* is not going to say to much unless he kinda has to (he really is
good he just is ok not to talk is all. He says he likes to listen, so he does.)
But yeah it’s been going good.
We got a lot of good lessons this last week. It was really
good and nice to have a good week under my belt with the new area. There are so
many cool people around that we can teach here so that has been great. It’s
just about trying to find when we can come by that can be hard. The thing with
Texas is everyone believes in something. So many Catholics or Baptists etc. but
they all have faith so I try and say we want to try and help them strengthen
their faith by showing them things that have really helped ours and I think
that it works ok. We have people that don’t always want to hear us but it’s
really rare when someone just slams a door or ignores us or is rude. Even
people that don’t want to hear us really seem to respect us. It is fun to walk
around a neighborhood where the people know us though like the kids will come
up and do hi-fives with us. ( I am a really bad follower when it comes to
handshakes, I think its cause I’m white haha) but really I’m bad at it but it’s
really fun to finally get one right so that when a kid comes up to you, you can just do this like handshake, snap
slide, elbow strangeness and just act like it’s nothing. It’s great. There are
so many cool kids out here who are just looking for something better and we are
looking to help them find it and I have really loved doing that. My goal for
this area is to help the youth program to grow so the kids will be able to
start bringing their friends to stuff and not be worried that it’s going to be
kinda lame or that there will be nothing to do. God really is blessing me with
a lot of kids that are interest in coming an they all seem to have families
that are looking for help.
So yeah that is just a little of what’s been going on here.
Everything is going great. I’m smiling a lot and the weather is more or less ok
just kinda strange but it’s all good when it’s in Texas. Well I hope ya’ll have
a great week and that I will hear from you soon.
Elder Birks
No comments:
Post a Comment