Well I hope that ya’ll had a great week and that you are
pumped for Christmas. I’m really excited for our mission Christmas party is
coming up and we will all get together and be able to see each other for a few
hours. I just got told about transfers and I will be staying here with Elder
Mortenson and I’m pumped about that.
I have really been liking the Twelve days of Christmas. It’s been
great. I also got one from Robynn and it’s been fun as well. I really have
liked the stories and all that. It is cool to be able to read them and feel the
Spirit of Christmas with that. I really love how many stories and things there
are about service in this time of the year.
So kinda cool and funny thing is that me and Elder Mortenson
are the teachers of an English class here. Haha right. I can hardly speak
English as it is and now I’m trying to teach it. It was really fun though. I
got the chance to kinda lead the class and because we have the class in the
church and we are missionaries I told them that I would like to start with a
prayer and that I wanted them to say it in English. They were so good. I
was such a proud teacher. I would write what I wanted them to say and then
point to every word and they would follow along. It was super funny and fun. I
love Spanish people and their funniness. They really are the best and I can’t
imagine how funny it is to them when they have new missionaries coming in and
trying to talk in Spanish. We will be teaching every week and I’m excited. We
will see if they feel like they are learning anything or not but I think they
will.
Also we were able to visit with the M* family and to
share a message about the importance of using what the Lord has given us. I
used an example of a box of Nerds. I gave them all a box and they were really
excited. Then I told them “Ok this is
yours but you can’t open it” and their faces were just like ‘What?’ We talked about how pointless that would be
and then we pointed out that the scriptures are something that God has given us
so that we can enjoy them and yet so often we don’t even take the time to open
them and get the blessings that are there and how that doesn’t make sense. I think they liked it. I just want to say that
I know that that is totally true and that the scriptures, when we really start
to get into them as ya’ll are with the Book of Mormon challenge you have, you
will find them to be so good and will have a greater desire to read and to
learn. I had a Sister in the English ward say something I thought was awesome.
She said that the scriptures are really just letters from home. I was like
‘That is so true. God gave us all the scriptures because He loves us’. I know
that as a missionary I’m helping people to have a chance to learn that and it’s
really great. I love it. I hope ya’ll have a great week and that all goes well.
I love ya’ll.
Elder Birks

No comments:
Post a Comment