Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Island life



I am still out here in the island and I’m doing good. We are working with a few families who are doing really well. We are excited for them and we hope that they will do well. The other day we were going around and biking and we went by to see if this family was going to be able to come to a noche de hogar (family night) and we show up and they were all dressed and ready to go! It was sweet. Then we called their mom who was supposed to come get them and they were just waiting for her and the mom didn’t even know they were going! Haha but we helped out and they all made it and it worked out and they had fun. I taught the lesson about how Satan tempts us with the flaxen cord and how it gets harder to break it with time. We asked these kids to help us out and we used thread first. We showed how easy it was to break it then I went and I put a lot on his arms then explained how hard it is to get away. (I didn’t think that he could but the kid broke it) So he was all pumped and I was like haha great, there goes the lesson. Then I did it to him again and this time I put on a lot and he couldn’t get away. Then came Christ with his scissors and he cut the cord and it was a good lesson. I still remember when mom taught that at church and used dad as the trapped person and they were sitting on the bed practicing. Haha thanks for that one.

Well it was a great week. We had a lot of member support and it feels like we are going to be doing good here.

Cool things about the island. Ok so there are a lot of older houses that have been remodeled but what the island is doing right now is they come by and they make you a new house (I don’t get how it works but it’s kinda like that). They just destroy the one you had and make a new one and they paint them really fun too, all these really bright colors and its really cool. So it helps the island not be so trashy. We have like a lot of fog that came rolling in last night so that’s been cool and there is almost always a breeze of some kind. There are a lot of people here who speak Spanish and it’s a great place to be. I feel like this is where the Lord wants me so I’m very happy to be here. I hope that ya’ll have a great week and that you are able to do something fun for Thanksgiving. I think I’m going to a ward party on Thanksgiving and I will probably get to sing.

Have a great one. Bye.
Elder Birks


No comments:

Post a Comment