Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Evacuation Drill


Well this has been a good week. Today we got to do an evacuation practice. It’s like a really big fire drill. All the missionaries got a text at like 6 am that said you must evacuate (and as to the fact that the way we know the weather is looking outside we all thought something big was coming, haha) so we have to pack and put things on shelves and in bags and put food in the freezer and do fun stuff like that then drive to the church where we meet and then follow the instructions of the district leader (haha, no pressure right). So we got up and were ready to go after an hour or so and then we were off. They did it with the whole mission! It was a really good practice and something we really need to know how to do. When we got there we ended up having to wait for a while so we played Uno while we waited. So that was how this day has started.

As for my week, well this has been a good week. It’s been warm and moist outside. We were able to teach a few new people that were really cool but we weren’t able to get into this one house that we really wanted to, the one with the lady who I wanted to go back for. It’s been really hard to contact her because she doesn’t own the house and the owners don’t seem to like us too much because they never answer the door when we come through. They almost always look through the blinds though. Haha it’s the funny moments like that that make a day interesting. If every door opened every time I tried I would stop thinking it was so cool when they do open. So yeah, that was fun.

We were able to talk to this family that gave us some strange Mexican candy. I’m getting better at eating it though so that was good. We were able to help them do some service and then teach a lesson to a family of 6 so that was great and they live really close to C*. We are trying really hard to work with C*.  He seems to be having a hard time. He is just bored all the time and has no friends that live close so he just plays video games all day and is having a hard time reading. We are trying to get him to come out and visit some people with us but he is kinda shy so we will see where that goes.

Well I’ve been doing good. Me, Elder F* and Elder F** are doing well together. Trios are fun. It will be really strange to go back to just two. We will see how long Elder F** gets to chill here with us. I’m still way pumped to be here. I love Texas. I love that right now I’m in a library and I think me and my comps are the only white people here. People are great when we give them a chance. I love that there are people here that want us to be happy, that are always willing to give us water or let us in out of the sun. I know that there are blessings that come from working hard and that the Lord is in the work and He will help us find who we need to find. I’m hoping that you’re having a great week and I love ya’ll.

Love,
Elder Birks

No comments:

Post a Comment