Monday, April 1, 2013

Playing on God's team


Ok so what are some of the fun things from this week? Well it was Easter. That’s always fun as well as my birthday. That was pretty fun. I didn’t do a whole lot different but it was still kinda cool to have that day. We were able to teach a lot this week and that’s always good but we were able to have some of our members come out with us and that was really way sweet. I’ve learned that a lesson is always better when you have a member there with you.

One thing I’ve been learning this week is that we need to help out if we want to receive blessings. We need to put the work in. I got the chance to help this family move in (YES!) and was able to meet this kid who is going to be playing fullback for Michigan University and that was cool. We talked about having to put the work in when or if we want to be good at something. He talked about how much he has to practice to keep up his skill level and how hard he has to work to be able to fill the demands of his position. It was really fun to be able to talk with him and compare what he was saying to the gospel. So first we are all on God’s team (Yeah!) and the best part is the game is rigged. We are going to win. All we have to do is make it to the end and make sure we did all we could in the game to help our team. As we prepare to go out and do our part we have to make sure we know what we need to do. We need to know and understand the scriptures. We have to know why it is that saying a prayer or something is going to bless us with a feeling of peace. It’s so cool to think that there really is progress to be made in this gospel. We are not just stuck in one spot with a testimony that is kinda what we want. We can grow if we do the things required.

It is amazing to me to watch the change in the life of families that weren’t following the gospel and then have come back. The R*’s are like my favorite family ever. I just am so happy to be around them. Brother and Sister R* gave talks on Sunday and they did great. I can’t look at Brother R* without wanting to bust out and laugh but the change in their family is great. The girls did go to the temple and were able to have a great time. There are just so many blessings to be had in this gospel and all we have to do is put the work in. I invite all of you to make that effort to put the work in and to watch what God will do with someone willing to listen.

I love being a missionary. I love having the chance to learn and to grow. I’m glad we don’t have to be perfect in order to do our part and it’s cool to think that one day we will be perfect and that we will be exactly what we are supposed to be.

I love you all so much and hope you have a great week.

Love,
Elder Birks

No comments:

Post a Comment