So this week at church we
didn’t have any investigators come but we did have less actives come so that
was super great. We are really excited to be helping a family prepare for the
temple and they have been members for a long time. We went and asked them when
was the last time they had gone and they were like “ummmm we never have gone”
so we jumped on that! Getting baptized and becoming a member and then not going
to the temple is like starting a race and then just stopping in the middle. It
makes no sense. So we are helping them to do that and we are excited to see how
that will help the family. We also had a member come out with us for the first
time and he was so excited. He also has been less active on and off so it was a
big step but he told us that he had never done that before so it was great to
get to help him out with that and really he helped us a ton.
I love the members. I think
it’s so cool how great our ward is. They are just willing to try and take care
of us. They don’t always know how to do it but I’m always happy with their
effort. I think that’s how God is with us. I was thinking of the talk by Elder
Holland. ("Lord, I Believe" April 2013 Gen. Conf.)
I like when he says how God
has only ever had imperfect people to work with and how frustrating that must
be for him. God knows that we aren’t nor can we be perfect but he sure likes to
see us try. He wants to see us put our shoulder to the wheel and push even if
we don’t know where we are going. There are blessings that come to those who
are willing to have faith in what they have been told to do and then go out and
try to figure out how to do it. I love the mission for that. I remember when I
got put with Elder B* in Houston and they just were like “well make it
work”. We just started wandering around and trying to listen for the Spirit to
tell us where to go to find people to teach and because of our effort the Lord
blessed us. It’s cool and interesting that God doesn’t always bless us in the
way that we expect. Like we could have biked around a neighborhood and not
found anyone but then been able to get a call from someone that wanted to see
the missionaries. I feel like God just wants to see us work. Our members here
are trying to learn how to work and we have been trying to figure out how to
help them with that. I know that it will all come together as we keep trying to
do our best.
This week has been fun. We
got to paint a hallway of a sweet family. I got to have exchanges with both of
my zone leaders and that was great. It’s fun to be a missionary.
I really hope that ya’ll have
a great week and that you are able to do something to grow your faith. I love
ya’ll
Elder Birks
No comments:
Post a Comment