Well here everything is going great. The weather is kinda
strange, not all that cold but rainy but I really don’t mind the rain. I have
my car today so that helps out even more. As for things that have been going
on, did I tell you this is a short transfer? It’s only 5 weeks so yeah. Just so
you know. Well I’ve been doing good. I’m working hard. We had lower numbers
this week then we have for a while but I’ll figure that out this week. The
R*’s are planning on being baptized on the 23rd of this month so
that’s going to be a great day as well as J* (still hasn’t come to church
though, car problems). It was really funny. We had this kid J* drop us. The
funny thing is that we have been texting him everyday for the past month
(without a response) to read the Book of Mormon, every day at 4:30 because he
asked us to. Then all of a sudden we get a text and he is like “I’m not
interested” and I was like “Why not?” and ect. But yeah it was really funny
because I’ve been annoyed that he never texts us back and I felt like we were
just wasting texts and we hadn’t seen him in several weeks. I was ready to just
stop texting him. He is a really cool kid, just not ready yet. Now I don’t have
to waste my texts on someone who isn’t even going to read because we have 2
other people who are going to read!
Oh, I have a lady that’s going to teach me how to make
tamales! I’m so pumped. Mom you should figure those out because they are so
good but they are kinda hard to make. Sorry, haha, but it’s worth it! Man and
homemade tortillas, oh they are soooooo good. I’m getting better at making
beans and the sisters here are helping me learn things to put in them and how
to make other things. I love the food here. Spanish food is way good and there
is so much here, then all of a sudden you’re eating Chinese or BBQ. Texas has
options and Houston is so full of people from all over the world that man, it’s
great.
Funny thing. So I was at a house with the S* family
yesterday and the kids there are starting to love me. I’m not sure if it’s a
good thing (the little boy climbs all over me now, haha) but me and the little
girl, she is like 8 or 9, she was teaching me a handshake. We say like
“lemonade, lemonade, piece of ice, beat it once, beat it twice” and then repeat
it. It was so funny. I’m not very good at first but I learn pretty fast. She
was just laughing and saying “oh missionaro, porque no puede hacerlo”
(missionary, why can’t you do it?) It was fun, but don’t worry, by the end I
had it down! They are a great family. The dad helped me remember something
really important too. As much as we are there to be their friends we are there
to bring the Spirit. He told us about the missionaries that he remembered and
every one was because of something they had said that had helped him feel the
spirit. It was really cool and helped me remember that I need to love the
people enough that it will push me to study harder so I will have the knowledge
to answer their questions and to help them come unto Christ and to know Him
better and as I do that I will grow. I will be blessed and I will become who I’m
supposed to become. It’s something for me to think about.
I really hope that you have a great day and know that
everything here is good. Valentines is going to be strange, I’m sure of that.
But it could be worse. Haha. I could have a girl waiting. Holidays are so
strange here. They are really just another day. I forgot it was Valentines
until I read your letter. The life of a missionary is always on fast forward.
It’s so crazy to me.
I love ya’ll
Elder Birks


No comments:
Post a Comment